Tuesday, July 7, 2009

stupid sprained wrist.

Friday I couldn't go to work. Saturday was the Fourth. Sunday I got back to work (yay!) but I was sent home yesterday with an achey wrist and am useless again today. This wrist thing is pissing me off, but I know if I rush it that it isn't going to get any better. Still I don't like being idle.

The Fourth was fun though. On Friday night Morgan, Maura and I tried to get down to Cooperstown to see the fireworks to which we were late. We climbed up onto a little stone wall and watched them over the trees. Then on to a gathering at Jon's which was a fun little party. Saturday Morgan and I slept until the last minute then rolled out of bed and walked into Springfeild Center, which is a mile or so down the road. There would have been no where to park. We watched the parade that went on and had floats from the surrounding villages (not towns, those are bigger) with a number of little kid marching bands and fire departments. Standing with a few other Opera people we managed to find a section of road sans millions of kids, so we ended up with an inordinate amount of parade candy. My favorite float was of course the Opera float. We had silly signs and people in stock costumes and a trailer full of corn stocks from an older production. See the theme for the parade was Red, White, Blue and Green. So most all the floats were related to recycling. The boy scouts were pretty cute, with their painted boxes and recycling slogans on their heads as they tried to ride their bikes. After possibly the cutest tiniest donkey passed us the parade was over and it was time to go partake in church-lady pie. Seriously fantastic pie. I had blackberry, but there were probably 15 types of fruit pie there. And everyone knows how much I love pie. When we'd taken in all the pie and locals we could handle Morgan and I walked back home. There we proceeded to be lazy lazy bums until dinner and fireworks. These fireworks where at the other lake, not the one we work nearest, in Richfeild Springs. The park we were at called itself a beach... but that's not true, lakes don't have beaches. The fireworks where pretty fun, but mostly because most houses around the lake were all shooting off fireworks. A number of homes had red lights in their back yards, part of the "friendship circle". Anywhere there was a red light you were welcome to sit in their yard and watch the fireworks. Granted you could only see this from the lake, but oh well. I thought that was pretty cool. There were city sponsored fireworks that were a shade fancier than the personal ones. It was fun watching the sparks fly up from all over. It was also the coldest Fourth of July I have ever experienced. It was in the low 50's or high 40's that evening. If you don't believe me, go check tonight's low on the weather channel's site. I'm serious. Freakishly cold.

The only good thing about my sick leave is that I've got all photos I've take recently labeled, captioned and uploaded. So enjoy them. :3

No comments: