Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Last Few Days in London

So since the end of work I've been doing nothing but running around like a looney. Christmas presents and touristy things. I unfortunately don't have as many photos as I'd like because my camera decided that it was going to shit out and not work. I can't tell what's wrong with it either because of the busted screen. So any photos I have will be even more delayed than normal, as I have to wait to get them from different people. Which bites, but oh well.
Saturday was spent with Katie and Tracy in the pouring windy rain at the Tower of London. It was an amazingly cool place, with more weapons in one area than I think I have ever seen before. Most probably didn't work anymore, but still. Someone was getting married in the Royal Chapel there on the grounds, so we spent a while trying to figure out who in the Royal family you'd have to be marrying to get hitched there. The crown jewels looked so pretty that I would have sworn they were fake if not for the 2 ft thick door we had to go through and the men big scary men at the entrance and exit. The day was a stereotypical London winter day. Cold, soaking wet and miserable.
Sunday: Shopping and wondering aimlessly through London after waking up at noon.
Monday: Katie gave me a tour of Parliment in the early afternoon, which was really really cool. It's alot smaller inside than you'd think. It's a beautiful building though, as they rebuilt it after the war to look exactly as it had before the massive bombings. Westminster Hall though, the only orginal peice of the building from the King's Palace in the 1100's still stands virtually bomb-damage free. There was a choir in the hall, so we listened to that for a while. I got over to Westminster Abby directly after. It's such a beautiful place. There was a college choir in there too, and they were amazing. I'm not sure how long I spent in there, but goodness I could have listened to them all afternoon. They were setting up Christmas Trees too. All sorts of famous people are burried there, so seeing their graves was really really interesting. Like Chauser and Newton. I wasn't allow to take photos, but as my camera is dead that wasn't too bad for me. After that was shopping and Farewell Dinner with the Flatmates (photos ARE up from that). We made Paper Plate Awards for each other, just like the end of high school. They were all in good fun and everyone loved theirs. I got "The Official Seamstress of the Flat 8 Sweatshop" award. It's quite cute. The place we went to was really nice, even if my knees knocked against the table as it was too low to really eat at. The food was amazing, Moroccan, which none of us had eaten before. So tasty! We had a loud group of Spaniards next to us, and they were fun too. They were celebrating just moving to London and we were celebrating leaving.
Yesterday: Finished shopping, got to walk around Camden Town. It's one of my favorite places to go, a big flea market area with a ton of interesting things to look at and people. And really cheep chickpea curry. Last night I went to the SOT London performance. It was nice to see what all my Theatre friends had be working on all week. Then I packed. For a very long time. I think I went to bed at 2ish?
Today has been... interesting. Emma woke me up at 5am, because the taxi company was on the phone. They starting telling me how I needed to get downstairs because they'd be waiting for nearly and HOUR! Then I told them the that's because the taxi is for THURSDAY, not Wednesday. They finally realized that the taxi is for tomorrow morning and hung up. No apology to Emma or I. Effers. I promptly went back to sleep, only to be awoken by Cassie asking me if I wanted to get up to go with Katie to Portobello Road. Hell I didn't know if Katie was home, so I just said"nooooooooo..." and attempted to stay in bed as late as possible. Which wasn't too late, as I had to go to the main office to get my taxi money and take the big group photo. The group photo went well.. ish... One of the Resident Assistants got us all on the wrong train and we had to turn around and try to catch a train in the opposite direction. It mainly just wasted a lot of time. I think the photo went well, even if a number of kids didn't show. After photo time was big farewell lunch time. That was pretty fun, and has made me realize that it really is Christmas time. I can finally feel it. Missing Thanksgiving really messes up my internal Christmas Time timer. Now we're back, napping before Katie and I go out to see We Will Rock You a musical based on the music of Queen. When I get back from that I'll pack up the rest of my things like pjs and tooth brushes and get ready to really say good bye to my lovely London flat.

No comments: